Saturday, July 25, 2009

Enter Three Witches by Caroline B. Cooney

Honestly, if I wouldn't have "had" to read this book, I probably wouldn't have. After the first few chapters I was saying, "I don't want to read this book." However, I kept going, and found that I really enjoyed it. It just took awhile to get all the characters introduced and to establish the setting.

It is a retelling of the story of Macbeth. From what I can tell, it does a good job of following the general plot of Macbeth, but the story is witnessed from the eyes of Mary, a 14-year-old Lady in training. Initially, I didn't like the character of Mary since I like strong female characters, and Mary was not depicted that way.

This is not a story for either the faint-of-heart or of mind. You really have to think to keep everything straight...many characters and subplots. Also, there is a lot of bloodshed, same as in Macbeth.

Genre: historical?

Audience: probably 8th grade up

Topics: Macbeth, Scotland, nobility, power, greed, murder, witches, betrayal, love

Mrs. Beckwith's rating: 3.5 of 5

Amazon Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?