Monday, April 26, 2010

Nation by Terry Pratchett

It's been a long time since I've read a middle school/young adult book that I've wanted to re-read right after I'd read it the first time. This is definitely a "thinking" book. There are so many levels to its sophistication. I think it'd be a great book for discussion in the area of science, faith, and imperialism/racial superiority.

As a former science teacher, I enjoyed the many references, both obvious and subtle, to scientific topics. As a Christian, I was okay with the questions of faith. Some books blatantly bash Christianity, but this one was different. It was questioning any religious beliefs...not saying religion/faith wasn't important or real, rather questioning why you believe what you believe. Are your beliefs based on things you've always assumed are true or on what you know to be true?

The other strand in the book I found fascinating was that of racial superiority and the imperialistic actions of many countries in the past. Why is it that many European countries and the U.S. think/thought they were superior to third-world countries, for instance? What makes one country/people "better" than another? Are they really "better"?

I would love to work with a group of students discussing this book. Very thought provoking. An important read, I believe.

Genre: fantasy (but not fantastical...more like fantasy "light")

Topics: tidal wave, astronomy, imperialism, survival, religion, faith, scientific inquiry, superiority of one over another, dolphins, shipwreck

Audience: 8th graders (or kids who like to think/ponder)

Mrs. Beckwith's rating: 5 of 5

Amazon reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?