Saturday, August 8, 2009

100 Cupboards series by N.D. Wilson

This is a planned trilogy. Books 1 and 2 are currently out. Book 3 is expected in January 2010.

100 Cupboards is the title of the first book. Henry is sent to spend the summer at his aunt and uncle's farm in Kansas. While he's there, he discovers a set of 100 small cupboards built into the wall of his bedroom. These cupboards lead to different worlds in different times. Henry's cousin, Henrietta, is intrigued by the cupboards as well and seems to always be getting into mischief. Henry discovers a few mysteries about himself as he explores the cupboards. I really liked 100 Cupboards and would recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy.

Book 2 is named Dandelion Fire. This book was little more difficult to follow, but I persevered and read the whole thing in two days. I must confess, I cheated a little and took a few peeks at later parts of the book to help keep me going. What I read there motivated me to keep plugging away at portions of it. Most of the book takes place in the world on the other side of the cabinets. Plus, something really unusual happens to their house in Kansas, as well as to a few of their friends. It's darker than the first book, but it was good. I'm not really sure quite what it is about these books, but I feel compelled to continue reading. I can't wait to read book 3, The Chestnut King, but looks like I'll have to :-)

Genre: fantasy

Topics: family, magic, faeries, wizards, alternate worlds, bravery, family secrets, stealing, dishonesty, selfishness, dream walking

Mrs. Beckwith's ratings:
100 Cupboards: 4 of 5
Dandelion Fire: 3 of 5


Amazon Reviews for 100 Cupboards
Amazon Reviews for Dandelion Fire

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?