Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Harry Sue by Sue Stauffacher

Harry Sue is the daughter of two convicts serving out their prison terms. She lives with her grandmother who runs a day care. As you read, you're going to want to yell (and do other things) at the grandmother, or offer advice to Harry Sue, but you are restricted to reading her story. Harry Sue has a good heart and often tries to make good out of very unpleasant circumstances. Thankfully she's surrounded by non-family members who truly care about her.

There were parts of Harry Sue that I really liked, but there were parts I struggled with. I got bogged down with some of the lingo and writing style, but I kept at it. I'm really glad I did, because the story was really good. I did get confused at times, but eventually I think I got it figured out :-)

Genre: Realistic fiction

Topics: child abuse, Wizard of Oz, parents in prison, living with grandmother, prison speak/lingo/jargon, day care, doing the right thing, story telling, paralysis, family, friends, having a heart

Mrs. Beckwith's Rating: 3 of 5

Amazon Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?